07 Aug 2018
Welcome to the Canadian Armed Forces Appreciation Evening
- On Friday, 1 Jun 2018 in Toronto, the Ukrainian War Veterans Association of Canada hosted a Canadian Armed Forces Appreciation Evening to honour the great work of the Canadian Army in Ukraine under the auspices of Operation UNIFIER and in Latvia as part of the NATO enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroup.
- The Ukrainian War Veterans Association of Canada, is Canada’s oldest Ukrainian Canadian veterans association, being formed in 1928 in Winnipeg. This year it is celebrating its 90th anniversary.
- LCol Kristopher Reeves CD (former commander of Task Force Ukraine – UNIFIER) and his team of presenters, gave an outstanding and touching update on the mission.
- Canada has been a leader in helping bolster security in eastern Europe, particularly in the Baltics and Ukraine, where Russia has been working hard to de-stabilize the region and continues to be the most significant threat to Ukraine and the international order.
- The UWVA, also presented its Knight’s Cross medal to LGen P. Wynnyk CMM MSM CD for his dedicated service to and leadership of the Canadian Army, support to Operation UNIFIER and his honouring of Canadian military history at home and abroad.
- The event was attended by 300 people including Canada’s Ambassador to Ukraine, Ukraine’s Ambassador to Canada, Ukraine’s Defence Attaché to Canada, 3 Members of Parliament, and numerous community and military leaders from the GTA and a contingent of soldiers from the 3rd Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment and 2nd Combat Engineering Regiment from Petawawa recently returned from Ukraine.
- 3 MPs – James Maloney, Borys Wrzesnewskyj and James Bezan
- Canada’s Ambassador to Ukraine – Roman Waschuk
- Ukraine’s Ambassador to Canada – Andriy Shevchenko
- Ukraine’s Defence Attaché to Canada – Colonel Viktor Siromakha
- Commander of the Canadian Army – LGen Paul Wynnyk (days away from becoming VCDS #2 in the military)
- Former UNIFIER Commander LCol Kristopher Reeves
- Contingent of 23 soldiers from the 3rd Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment and 2nd Combat Engineering Regiment from Petawawa
- First commander of UNIFIER – now Col Jason Guiney
- Commander of 32 Canadian Brigade Group – Col Dan Stepaniuk
- Commander of the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada – LCol Frank D. Lamie, CD
- Numerous veterans from Canada and Ukraine – WWII, Afghanistan and Donbas
- Numerous Ukrainian Canadian community leaders – including President of the UCC National and President of the Canada Ukraine Foundation
- Official Photos – more than welcome to use, please credit Stephen Parry (close friend and big support of Canada and Ukraine)
- Video on YouTube for the event